This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Saturday 9 January 2016

Saturday Rave: Emma, by Jane Austen.

Emma, by Jane Austen, was published two hundred years ago last month. 

I should have written about Emma before, but as Emma is, as far as I know, the best novel ever written by a human being, I assumed I'd already featured it.

Anyway, where on earth do I start with the delights of Emma? Even John Mullan, the great Austen critic, admits to finding new subtleties and delights as he studies the book, and a proper appreciation of Emma might end up as long as the book itself. 

Well, here, in brief, are just a good things about Emma.

It's very funny indeed.

It's alive with interesting and believable characters, with some of whom you'll fall in love.

The plot is mind-boggling.

It presents (and quite possibly invents) a couple of literary devices (stream-of-consciousness and free indirect style) and has fun with them, while never forgetting that it's bad manners to baffle or alienate the reader.

It has a really proper ending.

Oh, and did I mention the best-novel-ever-written thing?

"Ah! Poor Miss Taylor! 'Tis a Sad business!" Chris Hammond. 1898. Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.


I'll leave you with something I realised about Emma on about a tenth reading. So tell me, all you Janeites: what is the point of Mrs Bates? (Mrs Bates is a deaf old lady who sits quietly by the fire and is looked after by her garrulous daughter.) 

My answer is below - but I expect there are others.*

Word To Use Today: Austen. This name is a variant of Augustine or Augustus and means great or magnificent. 

Fair enough, I'd say.

*I think that Mrs Bates is Jane Austen's revenge on the ghastly Mrs Elton. They are both wives of vicars of Highbury - and Mrs Elton shows no sign of having either a child or loving friends to look after her in her old age. 

Clever, isn't it - and really rather chilling.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.