This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 10 December 2015

Being appreciated: a rant.

It's not the lying...

...we really appreciate your call...

...no, I can cope with all the lies...

...someone will be with you shortly.

I mean, everyone knows to equip themselves with a cup of tea and a good book when they try to phone a helpline, don't they.

No, what annoys me is the fact that someone has recorded exactly this message:

we really appreciate your call and we won't be keep you waiting for long

and is playing it again and again and again... 

...we won't be keep you waiting for long...

Now, if one of the third violins had made a small mistake in the fourth movement of a symphony you could understand their not wanting to record the whole thing again. But this is only one sentence, and I've had to listen to it again and again and again and again...

we won't be keep you waiting for long.

I'd like to be able to say that they'll be waiting a long time before I try to contact them again, but I've just had a look at my bank statement and I see they've charged me twice for the item I bought.

So all I can do is keep terribly calm, find my book - and make myself a cup of really good strong tea.

Still, perhaps this time they won't be keep me waiting for long.

Word To Use Today: appreciate. This word comes from the Latin pretium, which means price.




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.