This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 14 May 2015

Not worth reading: a rant

Don't do it!

I mean it, you know. I'm really fed up to the back teeth. 

Electric blue on black or white on yellow...

...if you're asinine enough to write your stuff in those sort of colours then I'm very unlikely to bother to read it.

And if I have to read it (if, for example, it's the instructions on how to pay for my parking ticket) then I am going to hold you in the most awful, endless and withering contempt.

Got it?

Word To Use Today: font. This word comes from the Old French fonte, a founding (as in a foundry) from the Latin fundere to melt.

By the way, it's not just me who feels this way. Daniel M Oppenheimer's 2005 Princeton Paper found that texts in hard to read fonts are judged to come from less intelligent authors.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.