This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Tuesday 10 February 2015

Thing Not To Do Today: be paranoid.

What was the most useful thing I learned at school?

I could either go away and spend a year writing a book to see if I could work out the correct answer to that, or I could give you a snap answer. And, as at the moment I have other books to worry about, that's going to have to do.

I was in a drama class. We were doing some improvisation, and our teacher said: it's the person in the wrong who gets aggressive.

Wow. How much knowing that illuminates the world.

So. Paranoia. Look, sometimes it's a sign of horrible mental disease, but otherwise it's just an excuse for aggression, okay? 

And it's a sure sign that you're IN THE WRONG.

Thing Not To Do Today: be paranoid. This word comes from the Greek word for frenzy, from paranoos, distraught, from para, which can mean more or less anything, but especially alongside or beyond, plus noos, mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.