This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunday Rest: twee. Word Not To Use Today.



The trouble with dictionaries is that they're too interesting. I mean, it's impossible to look up a word without being caught by at least three others on the way.

At least, it is for me.

Here's a case in point. The other day I was writing about Twitter, and in the dictionary I came across the word twee.

Now, I can't decide if twee is truly a horrible word. It means a horrible thing, i.e. something sick-makingly prettified or sentimental; but is the word, in itself, a shocker?

If I didn't know what it meant, would I dislike it so much?

If I didn't know where the word came from (see below, but only if you're feeling strong) would I dislike it so much?

I suspect are the answers to those questions are no, and no, but it's too late, now. I can practically feel my teeth rotting if the word twee passes my lips.

Still, I suppose that lonely dentists might have an affection for it.

Word Not To Use Today: twee. This word comes...are you ready, because this is truly horrible...this word came into being in the 1800s and is a baby-talk version of sweet

Eeerrgh.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.