This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 10 November 2013

Sunday Rest: bangle.

Bangle: sounds like bungle. (Although, now I come to think about it, I have rather a lot of affection for the word bungle. Perhaps it's the bang that puts me off.)

Anyway, whatever the reason, bangle has a metallic taste that sets my teeth on edge; and, unless you are one of those rare people with perfectly tubular arms, they're jolly uncomfortable, too.

AND they clink and jingle all the time and scratch the furniture.

I can't deny that bangles have an impressive history, though, so perhaps they're fine if you're brought up with them. For instance, it's said to be unlucky for a Hindu married woman not to wear bangles; and actually this is quite true because her honeymoon ends when the last of her glass bridal bangles breaks.

Nevertheless, as far as I'm concerned I might as well do myself out in handcuffs and have done with it.


Sunday Rest: Word Not To Use Today: bangle. This word comes from the Hindi word bungrī, glass.
 

2 comments:

  1. That's a word you don't hear much in North America.
    Anything worn on the wrist is usually called a bracelet, even the inflexible bangle.
    It's one of the words I get 'the look' for when I use it, along with boot, bonnet, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, North America is probably better off without bangle, but I think that bonnet is more fun than hood.
      But only for cars, natch.

      Delete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.