This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 22 January 2012

Sunday Rest: Word Not To Use Today: ointment.

Well, is there anything good about the word ointment?

I suppose it does sound quite thick and greasy, which is appropriate. The first bit sounds far too much like oink, though, so I can't help but be reminded of pig fat.

In any case, the word rings, dully, with disappointment and pain; with grazed knees, invasions of pimples, and unspeakable embarrassments.

I don't know about you, but in future I think I'm going to annoint myself, if necessary, exclusively with lotions, or rich but soothing creams.

Word Not To Use Today: ointment. This word comes from the Old French word oignement, and before that from the Latin unguentum.

All these rather nasty words mean ointment, pretty much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.