This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Thursday 19 January 2012

Setting an example - a rant.

There are loads of wonderful things about being quite old. It's true the frame is sagging a bit, and the memory rather less sure of itself, but there are a lot fewer people telling you what to do.

I mean, I only eat my greens when I feel like it.

So there!

The fly in the ointment - apart from taxes, and the approaching-death thing - is having to set a good example. The being-good-when-the-kids-are-watching.

Being a rĂ´le-model.

Ah well, it's an honour, really, I suppose, and that's why the huge toy warehouse called TOYS R US is so incredibly annoying.

Apart from the backwards R - why? WHY? And the fact that R, even the right way round, doesn't mean anything, what the flip does it mean?

TOYS R US?

TOYS R US??

It's utter balderdash.

Can I be the only person never to buy anything from them purely on the grounds that their trade name is illiterate?

Well, possibly, I suppose...

But in any case, it should be TOYS R WE!

Word To Use Today: toy. No one is sure where this word came from, but when it started off in the 1500s it meant to flirt or canoodle.

PS You know what I just said about non-reliability of the ageing brain? Well, this rant was really supposed to be for the 19th, rant days being Thursdays.

Ah well! I'll re-post it agan then.

If I remember.

1 comment:

  1. Agree with every word of this rant! Can't be many things more annoying that that backwards R...grrrr.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.