This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Sunday 27 November 2011

Sunday Rest: Word Not To Use Today: ubiquitous,

The dreadful thing about some words is that they're too useful. For instance, ubiquitous. It's a horrible, oily, orange-lamp-lights-on-wet-streets word, but it gets everywhere.

I suppose one could use omnipresent, instead, but omnipresent has a great lumbering hump at the beginning and a spit in the middle, and I think might be slightly uglier even then ubiquitous.

Basically, the world would be a better place if we avoided both of them. It's quite possible to do so. After all, I've written rather a lot of novels and I don't think I've used either ubiquitous or omnipresent in any of them.

Actually, I've just checked, and I haven't even used them in Goldkeeper - and that's all about God.

So I'm calling for a unilateral ban.

Okay?

Thank you very much. I appreciate it, I really do.

Word Not To Use Today: ubiquitous. What have the Romans ever done for us? Well, they've given us ubiquitous. It comes from the Latin word ubīque, which means everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. How clever of you to KNOW that you've never used ubiquitous in your work. I couldn't put my hand on my heart and swear to it but it's not a word that I use often. Though I must say I don't dislike it nearly as much as you do! I think it's quite a PERKY sort of word....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perky? Oh, but it sounds spiteful to me - that nasty pecking BIQ.

    Still, some people must love it, or it wouldn't exist, would it?

    So I expect I'm wrong. Again. Ah well!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.