This blog is for everyone who uses words.

The ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.



Wednesday 9 March 2011

Nuts and bolts - assonance.

So I was in a branch of a well-known chemist looking for something to give my hair a bit of life (see photo opposite - which, I must point out, is an AFTER shot).

Anyway.

Some sort of a mousse or gell-type thing, I thought. I mean, I don't want to look like an electrocuted poodle, I just need something to give my roots a bit of a lift.

Everything was quite expensive, though, and I couldn't find an own--brand.
So I looked around for someone to ask about a Boots Root-Boost Mousse...

...and decided to get the Phil Smith one, instead.

Assonance. I have always understood that assonance is when a vowel sound is repeated, as in cool moon, or past-master or I may reply to Hugh through you.
Everyone I have consulted seems to agree with me apart from the Collins dictionary, which includes mystery/mastery as an example of assonance.
I would have called this a half-rhyme, or slant-rhyme, or para-rhyme, myself.

I suspect I might even be right, too.

Assonance: from the Latin word assonāre which means, rather dully, to sound.

Hey, I bet you can't say Boots Root-Boost Mousse, either!

1 comment:

  1. I can say it! I can say it over and over again quite quickly! And do tell if BRBM is any good...I am forever looking for such products myself.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome, but please make them suitable for The Word Den's family audience.